Everything You Need to Know About Hair Loss
What Is Hair Loss?
Hair goes through a certain cycle of growth as all of us do. Hair loss is the thinning of hair as healthy hair becomes as soft and thin as fuzz and eventually falls out. There are approximately 100,000 hair shafts in the scalp and hair grows through three phases of its own growth cycle.
Around 90% of hair is in the growth phase and the remaining 10% is in the resting phase, also known as the telogen, which lasts 2–3 months. Once the resting phase is over, the hair is shed and new hair begins to grow.
Hair growth cycle(Consisting of growth, regression and resting phases)
Relation between dandruff and hair loss
Dead skin cells remaining on the scalp clog hair follicles, disturb the supply of nutrients from the outside sources and lead to unhealthy (abnormal) sebum production and therefore, insufficient nourishment for hair growth.
Moreover, buildup of sebum bonds with the male hormones around the hair roots and impedes the production of keratin, a key structural material of hair. In short, dandruff disturbs the skin’s metabolism, negatively affects hair growth and production and consequently triggers hair loss.